BIOUNCERTAINTY - ERC Starting Grant no. 805498
"Philosophy in Practice": Scientific Award 2020
Interdisciplinary Centre for Ethics of the Jagiellonian University (INCET), publisher of popular science journal "Philosophy in Practice" announces a competition for Scientific Award of "Philosophy in Practice" for the author of a paper in the field of practical philosophy. Papers can be submitted in Polish or English by a researcher or doctoral student affiliated with a Polish research unit. The paper should have been published in a journal or book in the year 2019. Deadline: 20th of May.
Submitted papers should concern practical philosophy, i.e. philosophical or ethical problems related to law, medicine, economics, and scientific research. The paper may relate to the following topics: medical care, public health, rationing of health services, medical research, new discoveries in biological and medical sciences, environmental protection, privacy and security of data, creation of legal regulations, military conflicts. We especially encourage submission of papers that make a creative contribution to contemporary discussions in the field of practical philosophy and have been published by leading national or international journals or publishing houses. Submission of whole books is also possible.
Deadline for submission: 20th of May 2020.
* Assessment criteria: subject of the paper, quality of philosophical argumentation.
* When determining the date of issue, the date of the volume / number / year of the magazine or the date given on the title page of the book counts, it is possible to submit papers that were published in 2019 on the Internet with the assigned DOI number (e.g. in Early View or Online First mode).
* The paper should include an affiliation of Polish scientific institution (in the case of multi-author works, this requirement applies to at least the correspondent author).
* The award is financed by Interdisciplinary Centre for Ethics of the Jagiellonian University (INCET) - publisher of the popular science magazine "Philosophy in Practice".
* The jury consists of the head of INCET and chairman of INCET scientific council. The jury may consult external experts and is not bound to substantiate its choice.
* The prize of the Scientific Award in 2020 is PLN 5,000 gross (if a Prize is awarded for a paper which has more than one author, the Prize will be divided according to the contribution to the paper or to a given text according to the authors' declarations).
* You can submit your own work or the work of other authors.
* Announcement of the results: June 2020
* The Prize Winner will be asked to present his/her paper in a shortened popular science version, which will be published in the magazine "Philosophy in Practice", as well as to give a lecture (if possible) presenting the main theses of the paper at the Interdisciplinary Centre for Ethics of the Jagiellonian University in Krakow in October 2020 (the cost of travel and accommodation will be covered by INCET).
* In 2020, the award is financed by the Jagiellonian University Institute of Philosophy and the Jagiellonian University Interdisciplinary Centre for Ethics.
* Submissions and questions sould be sent to: email@example.com. Please send the chosen paper in the attachment, and if that is not possible, by traditional mail to INCET address.