[Expired] Postdoctoral researcher position at the Interdisciplinary Centre for Ethics (INCET)
Rector of the Jagiellonian University announces a selection procedure for the position of postdoctoral researcher at the Interdisciplinary Centre for Ethics (INCET) in the project „New methods in philosophical bioethics”
The selection procedure is open for all individuals, who meet the requirements set out in Articles 113 and 116.2.3) of the Act of 20 July 2018 – Law on Higher Education and Science, and who meet the following eligibility criteria according to § 165 of the Statute of the Jagiellonian University:
- holding at least a doctoral degree;
- having relevant scientific achievements;
- taking active part in scientific life.
Additional requirements and expectations:
The selection procedure is open for researchers with a PhD degree obtained within a period not exceeding 8 years prior to the submission of their application to the call. Female applicants can add 18 months for each child, male applicants can add the number of months of parental leave, if applicable.
- A documented career in philosophy and specialist knowledge that reflects the state-of-the-art in their area of specialization (relevant scholarly publications, conference presentations, research collaborations).
- Strong interest in ethics and/or bioethics (some background in other disciplines as documented by publications will be an asset).
- Prior experience with methods typical for experimental philosophy and good command in designing such experiments (as documented by publication record).
- Familiarity with other empirical methods relevant in philosophical/bioethical contexts (e.g. corpus analysis) will be considered an additional advantage.
Successful applicants will be expected to:
- Conduct independent and internationally competitive research aligned with the research focus of the Interdisciplinary Centre for Ethics.
- Identify sources of research funding (in particular, international sources, e.g., Horizon Europe programmes), contribute to the process of attracting additional grants for the Centre, prepare proposals (with cooperation with other scholars) and lead independently research projects.
We are looking for candidates who:
- Share the Interdisciplinary Centre for Ethics vision for an interdisciplinary approach that bridges the gap between philosophical bioethics and other disciplines (psychology, medicine, health sciences, legal studies, economics): both “armchair” methods typical for the humanities and social sciences (conceptual analysis, case studies), and empirical methods (behavioral experiments, corpus analysis).
- Have an ability to bring innovative research ideas and methods to the Centre, and to turn research ideas into impactful projects and publications.
- Fluency in one or more languages other than English is advantageous.
Extending the range of empirical methods used by experimental philosophical bioethics beyond the traditional survey and contrastive vignette study designs. Adapting empirical methods from social sciences and linguistics to issues in bioethics and philosophy of medicine.
Details of the selection procedure and information on the processing of personal data can be found in the attachment.
Position: Postdoctoral researcher (adiunkt)
Unit: Interdisciplinary Centre for Ethics (INCET), Faculty of Philosophy
Deadline for submitting documents: December 16, 2023