"Philosophy in Practice": Scientific Award 2021
Interdisciplinary Centre for Ethics of the Jagiellonian University (INCET), the publisher of the popular science journal "Philosophy in Practice", is pleased to announce a competition for the "Philosophy in Practice" Scientific Award for the author of a paper in the field of practical philosophy. Deadline: 15th September 2021.
Who can participate?
Researchers or doctoral students affiliated with a Polish research unit. Starting with this edition of the competition, researchers in the early stages of their academic career will be preferred. This includes doctoral students and all researchers up to 8 years after receiving a PhD (this limit can be prolonged according to the rules used by NCN for post-docs or other important exceptions).
Rules on the content and form of the paper
- Papers can be submitted in Polish or English and should have been published in a journal or book in the year 2019 or 2020.
Submitted papers should concern practical philosophy, i.e. philosophical or ethical problems related to law, medicine, economics, and scientific research. The paper may relate to the following topics: medical care, public health, rationing of health services, medical research, new discoveries in biological and medical sciences, environmental protection, privacy and security of data, creation of legal regulations, military conflicts. We especially encourage the submission of papers that make a creative contribution to contemporary discussions in the field of practical philosophy and have been published by leading national or international journals or publishing houses. Submission of whole books is also possible.
- Assessment criteria: subject of the paper, quality of philosophical argumentation.
- When determining the date of issue, the date of the volume / number / year of the magazine or the date given on the title page of the book counts, it is possible to submit papers that were published in 2019 or 2020 on the Internet with an assigned DOI number (e.g. in Early View or Online First mode).
- The paper should include the affiliation of the relevant Polish scientific institution (in the case of multi-author works, this requirement applies to at least the corresponding author).
Awards and funding
- The prize of the Scientific Award in 2021 is 5,000 PLN gross (if a Prize is awarded for a paper which has more than one author, the Prize will be divided according to the contribution to the paper or to a given text according to the authors' declarations).
- The award is granted by the Interdisciplinary Centre for Ethics of the Jagiellonian University (INCET) - the publisher of the popular science magazine "Philosophy in Practice".
- The jury consists of the head of INCET and the chairman of INCET scientific council. The jury may consult external experts and is not bound to substantiate its choice.
- In 2021, the award is financed by the Jagiellonian University Institute of Philosophy and the Jagiellonian University Interdisciplinary Centre for Ethics.
The Prize Winner will be asked to present his/her paper in a shortened popular science version, which will be published in the magazine "Philosophy in Practice", as well as giving a lecture (if possible) presenting the main theses of the paper at the Interdisciplinary Centre for Ethics of the Jagiellonian University in Krakow (the cost of travel and accommodation will be covered by INCET).
Deadlines and contact information
- Deadline for submission: 15th September 2021. You can submit your own work or the work of other authors.
- Announcement of the results: beginning of the next academic year (2021/2022).
Submissions and questions should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send the chosen paper in the attachment, and if that is not possible, by traditional mail to the INCET address.