Call for Abstracts for the Bioethics Meets Political Philosophy (26-27th of January 2024)
We are accepting submissions for the upcoming Bioethics Meets Political Philosophy conference which is going to be held on January 26-27th 2024 at the Jagiellonian University in Kraków. The deadline for CFA is set for 10th of November 2023
Conference organised by the Interdisciplinary Centre for Ethics JU aims to explore and further develop interactions between bioethics and political philosophy, particularly in connection with, though not limited to, democratic deliberation and trust. The event will bring together specialists working in bioethics, political philosophy, and philosophy of science (especially philosophy of medicine).
Alex Broadbent (Durham University)
Rochelle Burgess (University College London)
Call for Abstracts
We invite abstracts of no more than 500 words (excluding references) connected to these topics. Possible contributions may include (but are not limited to)
- The justice principle in bioethics (also in global and/or historical perspective) and wider social justice concerns.
- Cost-effectiveness and discrimination in health care rationing.
- Property and patenting in biomedicine and pharmacology.
- Freedom and paternalism in clinical medicine.
- Interaction between political theory and bioethics.
We particularly welcome topics on deliberative approaches, legitimacy, and justice in relation to health.
- How can deliberative approaches help build trust or address legitimate distrust?
- How would deliberation frameworks work for biomedical issues with global scope (e.g., pandemics, or health effects of climate change)?
- Public engagement, patient organizations, and trust in biomedical sciences.
- Applications of feminist and critical theory approaches as well as philosophy of race and gender in relation to bioethical problems involving trust and discriminated groups.
Abstracts prepared for blind review can be submitted to email@example.com in PDF format by November 10th, 2023. Notifications of acceptance will be sent by November 20th. The conference will take place in person.
More information on the event can be found on Bioethics Meets Political Philosophy website